Course name: Master's Foundation Programme (MFP)
Age: 21+ (by 31st December of the year student joins programme)
Academic level: Bachelor's degree
English Language level:
|Three terms||IELTS 5.5+ in all elements|
|Two terms||IELTS 6.0+ in all elements|
|One term||IELTS 6.5+ in all elements|
If you don't currently have the required English language level, please see our Extended Master's Foundation instead.
Course length: 1, 2 or 3 terms
Hours in class: 25 per week
- Three term pathway - September / January
- Two term pathway - January / April
- One term pathway - April / June
Which course for me?
Not sure which course to choose?
Our quick Course Search will show you your options in 5 easy steps.
Try it now!
Master's Foundation Programme
- Range of University of London partners to choose from, including Birkbeck, Institute of Education and Royal Holloway
- Flexible programme with a range of subject options and pathways
- Flexible entry - begin your foundation in January, April, June or September.
Course composition will vary depending on your academic level, English level and length of course. Modules include:
- English for Academic Purposes
- Introduction to UK study and ICT
- Research methods, Data Analysis and Project Planning
- Research project
- Guest lectures
Flexible preparation for all academic programmes
The Master's Foundation Programme will allow you to improve your English whilst learning the study skills and research methods that you will need during your Master's degree studies.
You will study and live on campus, so that you are part of University life from the start. This includes full use of the all the university's academic, social and sporting facilities.
To prepare you for the academic style of UK universities, your course will be delivered using the methods you would expect to find at a high quality modern institution:
- Classroom lessons
- Workshops / laboratory work
- Group work
- Self study.
Students from this programme can apply to any degree from our University of London partners:
- Birkbeck, University of London
- Queen Mary, University of London
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- Institute of Education, University of London
- Royal Veterinary College, University of London
You can find more information regarding the Master's degree options open to our students on our Postgraduate progression page.
We have set up a number of guaranteed progression routes that lead to University of London master's degrees at Birkbeck College. These degrees are in faculties including:
- School of Business, Economics and Informatics
- School of Law
- School of Social Sciences, History of Philosophy
London FoundationCampus programmes are ideal for independent international students who have completed an undergraduate degree programme and would now like to progress to Master's level in the UK.
Aleksandr Terleev - MFP Business
Applying for MSc Financial Engineering at Birkbeck
"The Master’s Foundation Programme has exceeded my expectations and provides a well-structured business course. I have learnt effective research skills, how to conduct primary research and prepare for presentations.
I also get the chance to join lectures at the London School of Economics!”
Read more profiles